- MSE is a close-knit community. Our faculty and staff’s doors are always open to offer individualized guidance.
- The max class size is around 50 students.
- We support the natural formation of mentorships. Faculty and staff work to get to know students, and help them navigate and reach their goals.
- Most undergraduate students will do research during their time at CMU, either for credit or for pay.
- Students create their own academic experience. Almost 90% of students are pursuing some type of additional major ranging from creative writing to biomedical engineering.
- The average starting salary of our undergraduates is $75,000.
- 54% of our undergraduates pursue higher education.
Program educational objectives
Graduates with a B.S. degree from the Materials Science and Engineering program will, within a few years after graduation:
(1) attain success in a professional position and/or a top graduate school that builds upon their MSE background
(2) exhibit professionalism and leadership in contemporary, interdisciplinary engineering practice based on materials, while accounting for the impact of their profession on an evolving, global society
(3) contribute to innovative designs of technological systems using principles of materials science and engineering
(4) make effective contributions as an individual, team member, and/or a leader to effect global, economic, environmental, and/or societal impact
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering has accepted the following definitions for the educational outcomes of the department. These outcomes will allow our students to be successful in any career choice and achieve the long-term objectives of our department. Each student will have:
5. an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives