Graduate study in MSE systematically develops the fundamental scientific and engineering principles that govern the behavior and application of materials.
- The Master of Science in Materials Science degree is course-based and can be completed in one year.
- The Master of Science in Materials Science degree requires equal numbers of research and coursework units, and can be completed in two years (three or four semesters).
- The Doctoral degree is research-based and can be completed in four years.
- Students apply to our graduate programs, not to specific research projects. After the first semester the matching process begins.
- Research group sizes are typically around five students per advisor.
- Our faculty’s research falls into five areas: advanced materials processing and manufacturing, computation and informatics, materials for information technology, soft and bioactive materials, and sustainable energy production, conversion and storage.
- The median salary of our M.S. students after graduation is $75K. The median salary of our Ph.D. students after graduation is $95K.